Landlord Registration

Anyone who owns residential property in Scotland, which is let, must apply to register with the local authority for the area where the property is located, unless they are covered by one of the exemptions below. It is the owner of the property who must register. In some cases this may not be the “landlord” who has the letting agreement with the occupier.

Owners must declare any agents that they use to manage their property. An agent may be a professional such as a letting agent or solicitor, or a friend or relative who looks after the property, arranges repairs, collects rents and so on. Agents may also register in their own right if they wish. If an agent acts in relation to more than 2 properties, it is cheaper for them to register separately.

You can also register if you do not own any property, to check that you will be considered fit and proper before you invest in property to let.

In some cases the owner of a property leases it to an organisation or person who then acts as the “landlord” for the occupiers. For example, a private owner may lease a house to a company, which lets it out to its employees, or to a charity, which lets it to people in need. The lessee may also use an agent to manage the tenancy. In these cases the owner needs to register and the “landlord” is treated as an agent. The agent managing the tenancy must also be declared, this will also include “tied” property and sublet property.


Exemptions apply to properties rather than to people. If all of a landlord’s properties in a particular local authority area are covered by one or more of the exemptions, he or she does not need to register with that authority. If some of his or her properties are exempt, the other properties must still be registered.

A property is exempt from registration if it is:

  • the only or main residence of the landlord, where there are not more than 2 lodgers
  • let under an agricultural tenancy and occupied by the agricultural tenant (please note that any properties that you let WILL require to be registered – including tied property, unless specifically exempt e.g. holiday accommodation)
  • let under a crofting tenancy
  • occupied under a life rent
  • used for holiday lets only
  • regulated by the Care Commission, in certain categories
  • owned by a religious organisation and occupied by a leader or preacher of that faith
  • occupied only by members of a religious order
  • let to members of the landlord’s family only
  • held by an executor for a period less than 6 months
  • possessed by a heritable creditor for a period less than 6 months
  • owned by a person acting as a insolvency practitioner for a period less than 6 months, unless the appointment is made by the Accountant in Bankruptcy. In that case, crown immunity applies and there is a permanent exemption from registration
  • owned by a local authority or Registered Social Landlord

Further information can be found on the Scottish Landlord Registration Website

Premier Property Management registration numbers:

  • Dundee: 401936/180/02161
  • Fife: 401936/250/03451
  • Angus: 401936/120/03441
  • Perth and Kinross: 401936/340/03471
  • City of Edinburgh: 401936/230/03481
  • Aberdeen City: 401936/100/03461

House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

Your home is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:

  1. at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  2. you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

Your home is a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  1. it’s at least 3 storeys high
  2. at least 5 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  3. you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

A household is either a single person or members of the same family who live together. A family includes people who are:

  • married or living together – including people in same-sex relationships
  • relatives or half-relatives, eg grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings step-parents and step-children

House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) properties require to be licensed by the local authority within which same is situated. Additional licensing and safety requirements apply to HMO properties. We can advise on the current requirements pertaining to your property whilst further information can be obtained from your local authority.